NW10 Club

Sunday 28 June 2015

The Power of Makeup


Ah yes, the stereotypical half face with make up and half face without. Usually when someone uploads these pictures, or before and after pictures they are inundated with comments such as 'you look way prettier with no make up!' or 'you know, guys prefer girls who don't wear make up' or my personal favourite 'it's really deceiving wearing make up, you're essentially lying to us' Please, just stop.

I wear make up, tough, it's not to impress boys, and it's not because I can't bear anyone to see my face without it. It's because I want my wings sharp enough to kill, I want them brows fleek and I want my contour on point, is there anything wrong with that?.. I didn't think so.

Every morning, for as long as I can remember, I have observed my mum do her make up, at the age of 12 she bought me my first Mac Studio Fix Powder Compact and from pretty much that moment on I was hooked. Of course, I don't tend to watch her putting on her make up anymore as I am too busy doing my own, and it's safe to say that doing it is the highlight of my day. I could happily blend the day away, and spend over an hour trying to get a wing right. On other days there is pure blinded panic when something smudges or when I sneeze straight after mascara, but that's all the fun of it (so I'm told)

The concept of makeup being deceptive toward men is truly laughable to me, I would have major concerns for anyone who truly believed my eyelids were gold, or that my lips were dark purple. I don't spend hundreds and hundreds of euro on makeup to impress a man who probably couldn't tell the difference between Ruby Woo and Russian Red (there are men who can, but generally speaking no) Going by that logic, why do lesbians wear make up or asexuals? Or even women in relationships?

Apart from the obvious physical differences, the difference I feel within myself before and after applying make up is astounding, it's the difference between strutting down Patrick St. feeling like I'm Beyoncé or with my head down, hurried hoping I don't run into anyone. I don't feel like myself, or even look like myself if I don't have winged eyeliner on. And that's okay.

Moral of the story is that I apply make up for me, and for that reason only, and I feel no shame in it, it's not because I'm shallow or chasing after boys, it's because it makes me feel good about myself, and everyone deserves to be able to love themselves.

My next post will be an overview on Sleek Cosmetic's Products,
Until then,
Laoise 

No comments:

Post a Comment