NW10 Club

Sunday 19 July 2015

The Secret Behind 'Strobing'

If you've been on social media or seen a magazine cover in the last month or so, odds are you've heard about 'strobing'. The hottest, 'new' trend for Summer 2015

Work by Natasha Denona


So what even is 'strobing'?
Strobing is drawing attention to the high points of your face (think cheekbones, bridge of your nose, brow bone, cupids bow) and giving yourself an all 'round glowy,dewy, youthful appearance. Us oily skin folks can get away with it too by mattifying the other areas of the face, (jaw, forehead, cheeks, and chin)

Must I contour and strobe to get the full effect?
Nope. 'Strobing' means that the areas where the sun would hit are super dewy and glowy and highlighted, even by mattifying the other areas of the face this will give you a natural contour. 'Strobing' is all about looking natural and youthful, so no contouring, no heavy eye make-up (eeek) .

Hang on a second... this whole strobing thing sounds kinda familiar
It does doesn't it? Maybe because it's HIGHLIGHTING. Yes everyone this is the big secret. Strobing is nothing new. The makeup industry does this every so often, they pick a new name for something that everyone's been doing for years and years. By doing this they suck people in to buy extra products they do not need by claiming they're the 'ultimate strobing device'. They simply take advantage of the people who are less au fait with makeup causing them to freak out, go and buy all these products. If you ask me it's just a money making scheme. By Christmas you'll probably be able to purchase strobing kits (probably) I've already seen make up artists advertise 'strobing classes'. It's bad form.

Rant aside, what do I think of this trend?
Personally, I'm not a super dewy kinda person. I like to be totally matte, but I love a super strong highlight. Highlighting is my favourite part of my skin makeup. On other people I think this is truly stunning and really nice for Summer, though I'm kinda wondering if we'll ever see the sun again here in Ireland. But despite my disapproval of the term 'strobing' I think the look itself is gorgeous. Above there's an example of work by Natasha Denona who's an incredibly talented artist and 'strobes' beautifully. You can check out more of her work here

What do I use to strobe (i.e highlight) ?




  • Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer in fair. (this colour isn't light enough for me to use as a highlight but I tend to go for it anyway #palegirlproblems). Retails in Boots for €5.79
  • Benefit High Beam. Retails in Boots for €27.50 
  • Mac Mineralized Skin Finish in Soft & Gentle (my all time favourite highlight) retails in Brown Thomas for €30.00
  • Benefit Porefessional Agent Zero shine (to mattify the non highlighted areas) Retails in Boots for €33.50

So that concludes my thoughts on 'strobing'. I realise I didn't go very in depth into how exactly to highlight/strobe. But let me know if ye would like a step by step 'how to' and I'll do that for you! 

Until next week, 
Laoise, Just The McGinning

No comments:

Post a Comment